The LTER Information Management Committee (IMC) has been exploring the feasibility of moving the network information management coordination and provision to the IM community as a possible alternative to a new Network Office for LTER data management.
We have developed an initial management model that aims to retain the best parts of the existing infrastructure while also being able to accommodate new ideas. We invite our science colleagues to help us the define the processes that will ensure we meet the needs of the LTER network going forward. In particular, we want to know:
- How can we ensure we have a clear understanding of science needs and priorities?
- How will we gather this input, i.e., what questions do we need to ask and of whom?
- How can we encourage scientists to be more engaged in information management?
- How should we balance science needs vs. technical needs within a limited budget?
- What are the criteria for prioritizing information management projects that support site science?